3-4 week "Just Do It" trial period
Check out the "Just Do It" method using this 3-4 week structure. Several 8-week series are available if this one works well for you.
Discussion Guide for Our Just-Do-It Group
Leader reads the black print to the group. Notes for the leader are in red.
Intro (use in the first week and again later if/when desired)
1. Nobody is teaching anything or preparing anything for this group. We use the questions below and take turns being the discussion leader. Our goal is to listen for a “Just Do It” idea that God puts into our heads each week, something small and specific that fits with his campaign to heal, bless, and connect the world.
2. (Skip this question the first week. Each later week, use the review list that should have one short Just Do It thing for each person at the previous meeting.) How did it go with your “Just Do It” from last week?
3. What is one thing you are thankful for this week?
4. What is one challenge you are facing?
5. "Just Do It" groups are about listening to God, expecting him to give us his idea about what we should "just do." Lead the group in a short simple prayer for that to happen.
6. Tell the group which week you are on and what the reading is for this week.
Week 1: Genesis 12.1-8 Abraham
Week 2: Acts 2.1-8 Pentecost
Week 3: Romans 11.16-24 Grafted branches
Week 4 (optional): Revelation 7.9-17 Many nations
Note: These stories are about God’s intentions for different races.
7. This is what the reading says. Read it to the group. Use your own Bible or free online Bibles at biblegateway.com. No sign-up required. For easiest reading and discussion, choose either “The Message” or the “Good News Translation” from the pick list.
8. What stands out to you in what we just read? It could be a main point or just something that jumped out at you.
9. Have someone reread the same verses. Use a different translation if you have one.
10. Now let’s pretend we are retelling this to a friend without looking at the verses again. Ask someone to be the storyteller and the rest to be helpers.
11. What are these verses telling us about God's campaign to heal, bless, and connect the world?
Just Do It
12. Now let's each think about our own situation. What specific idea is the Spirit of Jesus putting into your mind as something to do in the next day or two that would fit with what we have been talking about? If the idea is huge and long-term like, “Be more kind,” listen for God to give you an idea about a specific action to start with this week. It should heal, bless, or connect some person or group.
13. Get the Just Do It ideas all written down so you can all remember all of them and discuss them next week. Share them via a group text or however you normally share such info.
14. Pray that God will help us each do our “Just-Do-It,” even if it’s hard. And pray that people get healed, blessed, or connected as we do them. They are our small contributions to a better world because we listened to God together in this Just Do It group.
15. Can everybody meet at this time next week? Adjust the time or skip a week if necessary. – END